Start your dive course anywhere in the world and complete it with a referral dive course on our Great Barrier Reef Liveaboard
Reef Encounter, Australia’s only floating luxury boutique hotel
Situated on the spectacular Great Barrier Reef off the coast of Cairns and offers guests a unique opportunity to enjoy the ultimate Great Barrier Reef experience as briefly or for as long as they want.
Reef Encounter is for anyone who wishes to experience the Great Barrier Reef – whether it be to enjoy the sunset, sleep on the reef, snorkelling with time to really to enjoy the beauty and uniqueness of the quality reef and marine life, mad keen divers who want to explore everything under the water, or those that want to do their referral dive course and learn to become a mad keen diver!
Reef Encounter offers all the luxury facilities of a reef resort while floating on the pristine waters of the Great Barrier Reef – making it one of the most unique holiday escapes in Australia.
SSI Dive Facility
Reef Encounter is an SSI Accredited training facility and has been offering outstanding scuba diving on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef for over 30 years.
The dive crew at Reef Encounter are dive professionals with outstanding customer service to assist you with any aspect of your diving. At Reef Encounter, the emphasis is on increased training in actual dive conditions.
A referral dive course is a course in which you conduct your pool and theory training with one dive school and your 4 open water training dives with another.
The referral dive course is held on our Great Barrier Reef liveaboard, Reef Encounter 2 day 1 night live aboard trip.
As Reef Encounter is an SSI training facility, you will need to make sure that you have done your initial open water training with an SSI training facility.
Reef Encounter is the pride of the Cairns liveaboard fleet, it is always moored on the outer reef, cruising to a different dive location twice a day, and we use our fast catamaran Reef Experience to transfer you to and from the Reef Encounter.
The staterooms on-board are double bed and twin beds with private ensuite and large windows overlooking the Great Barrier Reef
This package departs daily from Cairns.
Our Referral Dive Course Package Includes
- Stateroom accommodation (Private Bathroom)
- On board Chef prepared meals
- Coffee, tea and fresh fruit
- 4 Training Day Scuba dives
- SSI International Open water certification
- Professional friendly instructors
- Bed linen and towels included
- Snorkeling equipment
- Glass bottom boat tours
- Marine Biologist presentation
- All Government Reef Levies
SSI Referral Dive Requirements
- Open water dive referral paperwork
- Minimum age is 12 years (subject to a medical assessment).
- Children under the age of 15 years must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
- A Dive medical to the Australian Standard AS4005-1 is required.
- Australian medical standards are different to those overseas. Some medical conditions may preclude you from diving.
- Your health and safety is of paramount importance to our company Queensland Dive Laws are the strictest in the world – with the safest dive record in the world. Some Medical conditions and or medication may stop you from participating in Scuba Diving even if you are a certified diver.
- These include Asthma or wheezing, Brain spinal cord or nervous disorder, chronic bronchitis or persistent chest complaint, chronic sinus, collapsed lung, diabetes mellitis, most chest surgery, Epilepsy, Fainting, Seizure or blackouts, Heart Disease of any kind, recurrent ear problems when flying, tuberculosis or other lo lung disease and High blood pressure. Some prescription and non-prescription medications including some Malaria prevention tablets may prevent you from diving.
- If you are unsure of any medications or medical conditions please consult your Doctor – The Australian standard is Dive Medical A4005.1
- It is not our companies decision regarding these laws – we are regulated by the Queensland Government.
2 Day Referral Dive Itinerary
- 7:30 am Breakfast onboard Reef Experience – Marlin Jetty, Cairns
- 8:00 am Depart Marlin Jetty Marine Biologist Presentation Snorkel briefing
- 10:30 am Arrive Outer Great Barrier Reef Transfer to Reef Encounter Snorkel Sun bake and relaxation time
- 12:00 pm Lunch
- 1.00pm onwards – Referral Training Scuba Dive
- 3:00 pm Cruise to our next spectacular outer Great Barrier Reef location
- 3.30pm onwards – Referral Training Scuba Dive
- 6:00 pm Dinner & Dessert
- 7:30 pm Relaxation time, stargazing, boardgames or a movie
- 6:30 am Referral Training Scuba Dive then Breakfast
- 8:30 am Referral Training Scuba dive
- 10:30 am Cruise to our next spectacular reef location Glass Bottom Boat Tours, Snorkeling, Sun baking Relaxation time
- 12:00 pm Lunch
- 1.00pm Snorkel, relax
- 3:.00 pm Transfer To Reef Experience – Direct Journey back to Cairns with Complimentary Wine and Cheese, fresh tropical fruits
- 4:30 pm Arrive Cairns
What to Bring
- Overnight bag – If you wish to store any excess luggage we are happy to do so in our office at 100 Abbott street Cairns.
- Referral Paper work
- Dive Medical if required
- For safety reasons Reef Encounter has a “No Shoe” policy. (There is no need to bring extra pairs of shoes)
- Cash or credit card for purchases of snacks from the bar / souvenirs for sale on-board or underwater camera hire.
- Sun hat, swimming clothes, sunscreen, sunglasses, light casual clothing.
- As the air-conditioning is on a set temperature for the heat during the day it can become quite cool in the evenings, even just being on the Great Barrier Reef can be cooler at night-time, therefore a light lo pullover, cardigan should be taken
- Introductory/Resort Night Scuba Dive
- Wetsuit hire
- Soft drinks, snacks etc
- Underwater Camera Hire
- Alcohol available on board – NO BYO